God is personal, loving, powerful, all-knowing, wise and holy and He invites us to spend time with Him. Can you imagine that? He loves us that much! Prayer is the outpouring of our relationship with Him and His with us. It’s a place we can go to talk to Him and interact with Him in a personal way.
But prayer isn’t always easy. Perhaps you feel distracted. Maybe it’s hard to pray with confidence. Maybe there is no joy to be found. Perhaps it’s hard to let go and let God be in control. There are times when you are not sure what to say or how to pray in the first place. If so, you are not alone. I’ve been in every one of these situations over the years in my prayer life.
The great thing is that God gives us all the knowledge we need. He will equip us for everything He calls us to do. Since prayer is something He calls us to do, we know he will equip us for that, too.
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (Ephesians 6:18, NIV)
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-12 NKJV)God will equip you for all He has called you to do. He will equip you in your prayer life, too!Click To Tweet
These following three things have proven to be powerful strategies that can help empower and renew us in our prayer lives no matter what our difficulties may be.
1. Pray over your prayer time. Until I participated in the Battle Plan for Prayer Bible Study by Stephen and Alex Kendrick, it had never occurred to me to pray over my prayer time. But after their suggestion, it made total sense. I pray over all areas of my life, so why not cover my own prayer time in prayer!
Praying over your prayer time will:
• Calm you and bring you God’s strength
• Help give you focus
• Protect your mind
• Help you have discernment
Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. (Psalm 119:18, ESV)
Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. (Psalm 86:11, NIV)
Don’t forget to cover your prayer time in prayer! Click To Tweet
2. Worship God. In my prayer life, praise and worship were entirely missing. I was good at being thankful, but thankfulness is not the same as worship. When we worship God, we think about His character, and we praise Him for it.
Focusing on God’s character does several things.
• It forces us to take our eyes off ourselves.
• It helps us understand who God is.
• Understanding His character gives us hope helps bring peace.
• When we understand Who God is, we find our true identity.
Be still and know that I am God. (Psalm 46:10, NKJV)
He is your praise, and He is your God who has done for you these great and awesome things which your eyes have seen. (Deuteronomy 10:21, NKJV)
3. Claim Scriptures. This is one strategy that will totally change and empower your prayer life. When we pray Scriptures, we are praying back the very words of God. Can you imagine having this at your disposal any time, any day and for any situation? Think of what that will do!
Claiming and praying scriptures for your life is an easy thing to do. Here are some simple ideas you can choose from.
Meditate on the verse. Take your chosen verse and meditate on it. Read through it several times. What phrases or words stand out to you? What truth does it contain? How can you apply it to your life?
Then do any (or all) of the following:
- Repeat the verse out loud. Repeating your chosen verse out loud will help you remember the verse and it will fill your mind with truth, which increases your faith. Repeating or praying God’s word out loud is powerful and can bring about spiritual breakthroughs.
- Personalize the verse by inserting a name or a personal pronoun. This makes the verse specific to you or to the person you are praying for. It is a very powerful way to pray, especially when you can’t seem to find the words you want to pray on your own.
- Pray the verse. Take your chosen verse and reword it as a prayer. Praying Scriptures defeats the enemy and brings the power of God into the situations we pray over.
Can you see how claiming verses in this way can help you hear the truth and absorb it into your life? God is in the business of equipping us, and one of the most powerful steps is thinking on, repeating, and claiming God’s Word in our lives. This is how we can pray bold and confident prayers.
So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11, NIV)
Praying Scriptures will transform your prayer life! Click To Tweet
You can find a free printable and an infographic to help you with these steps in the Journeys Resource Library. Find out more about our other free helps and our free prayer notebook by clicking HERE.
Over the next three weeks, we’ll take a look at each one of these prayer strategies in more detail. I’ll have more helpful resources for you so be sure to check back next Monday!
If you click on any of the verse references in the article above, you will be taken to a page over at Bible Hub where you will find many helpful and free resources for studying them in more depth. I especially like their Interlinear Bible! You can find a link to it in the menu bar above the verse list. It’s amazing the treasures you can find when you study the Hebrew and Greek meanings!
What other prayer strategies have you used to help you in your prayer life? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
(This is a simple prayer taken straight from a Bible verse, Romans 12:2. You can do prayers like this with any verse you’d like to use!)
Dear Lord, I ask you to give me the strength to refuse to be conformed to the patterns of this world. Help me instead to be transformed by the renewing of my mind so that I can understand Your good and perfect will in my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Next week we’ll discuss praying over our prayer times in more detail. We’ll talk about why’s and how-to’s so be sure to check back!
This article may be linked in other encouraging places. Click HERE to find out where!
The article Three Powerful Strategies to Transform Your Prayer Life first appeared at www.journeytoimperfect.com.
Get Our Free Quiet Time Notebook
Needing focus in your prayer life? Try our FREE Restored Quiet Time Notebook! You will find it as a free download under the “Prayer” menu. You can also find it in our Resource Library along with many other helpful prayer resources to go with your notebook! When you subscribe you will also receive encouraging updates from Journey to Imperfect in your inbox every Monday!